Diary of a Mother's Mission

My son, Kevin Martin, disappered under mysterious circumstances in the wee hours of July 18, 2004. His partial remains were found on February 1, 2005 in the river. The Des Moines Police have not been helpful and this is my blog to tell what I have done as it's done.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

No Public Outcry

No, there is never going to be a public outcry regarding Kevin's death but there should be. Each loss of life deserves scrutiny and investigation to determine the cause and we didn't get that. Even if a person did committ suicide , the authorities should be as sure of that as reasonably possible. This didn't happen in Kevin's case at all. I've spoken about that before. Under Suzanne's Law, an extension of the Amber Laws, an immediate investigation should have taken place. That didn't happen. Nothing happened.

I read in the paper the other day that a young guy had been killed in Brussels, Belguim, at the train station ,I believe. Two young thugs tried to steal something of his. I don't know whether they got it but they stabbed and killed the kid. There was a massive rally protesting what happened even though they had video footage of the two who did it - but no arrests yet.

This morning I took Kevin's suit out of the closet again. As I said, before that the suit was in a carrier and so out of my view. Now it isn't. I vaguely remember Kevin's cloths, and it seemed like a thousand t-shirts, some I had given him too, but none of them stand out as much as the suit does, not even his "drop-kick murphy" t-shirt which he was supposedly wearing the night he disappeared. I wish I could have seen him in his suit. I guess that's part of it. I have pictures of him, some of the last taken of him around April 18th, I think, three months before he disappeared. There is also a picture of him sitting on his Dad's couch, no jacket, but his silver gray shirt. Very clear and upclose like one of those pictures that seems so real, more so than others, and almost like you can reach in and touch the person.

So once again I am mad and frustrated. Where do I go? What do I do? What do we have in this world of 4 billion people? Most of us have our family, our friends, our loved ones. Most of us really only know a handful of people in our entire life. Those few relationships are it. Maybe most of our lives have no more significance than that of a common fruit fly or gnat. We don't know how to treat the living but we usualy give a little more aclaim and respect to the dead. Most people, sad to say, get more acknowledgement in death than they do in life. But if that's the way it is, I at least want that much for Kevin. I want to know what happened to my son. He deserves what every other living person deserves. To be honored. To be recognized. To have an investigation into the cause of his death. A proper, thorough, investigation which he did not get. Am I on the police departments "S" list because I had the collassal gaul to question them? To ask them why they couldn't do something or other regarding Kevin's disappearance? A majority of people are lucky. The police dept., like most other things, especially institutions, in life, are not what they're cracked up to be. For those who never find that out or have to rely on it, to test it, they can still maintain the charade. They're lucky.

So, there isn't ever going to be a public outcry over the death of Kevin Martin. And that's a crime. To "blow off" the death of just one person, any person, especially a young life as Kevin's was is an horrendous crime. I've said it before, I'll say it again. One crime, something left undone, the blatant disregard for even one life affects us all in the end. I feel sorry for what I've seen at the police station. Not all of it, but in this case, most of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home