Diary of a Mother's Mission

My son, Kevin Martin, disappered under mysterious circumstances in the wee hours of July 18, 2004. His partial remains were found on February 1, 2005 in the river. The Des Moines Police have not been helpful and this is my blog to tell what I have done as it's done.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Superman

Well, it seems like the Superman movie is coming out June 30th, I think. The other day on one of the morning tv shows I did get to see a trailer for this latest Superman remake. Already, and I'm sure way more than once, I've mentioned Kevin's love for Superman. This was a particularly poignant memory for me but I've also said that others, perhaps, remember different things about him. Things that they shared with him and so those things probably stand out more for them. Kevin must have had Superman pajamas before he knew who Superman was. I have three pair, each one a little larger in size. The first pair so tiny, he had to have been no more than two years old or younger. But then another pair of pjs and then a third pair after that! At what point he became enamored with this super hero, I'm not sure, but he did.

Kevin and I went to many movies together. He never ventured far from his apartment or Flanagan's and I use to worry about that. At least going to a movie was something different, not that seeing another movie was a treat (videos and dvds as everyone knows) and most young people his age probably watch too many, but at least it was a break from his normal routine. We would have gone to see this movie as well and then had a long discourse on whether it was good, better or whatever. He had all of the Christopher Reeves Superman movies. It was amazing how much this Superman reminded me of Christopher Reeves when they showed him as Clark Kent with the heavy black glasses on, but I'm sure that was intentional. Brian thought the actor who plays in Smallville should have gotten the part but I don't know...

So, I will go to see this Superman movie and X-men 3 and even the sequel to the Pirates of the Caribean. I saw the previous ones with Kevin, including "Finding Nemo" and so have a fondness because I saw them with him. (I didn't want to see Finding Nemo, was very surprised that Kevin did, but bowed to his request and really loved the movie. It was so visually beautiful, I thought, and I'm sure appealed to Kevin's artistic bent as it did to mine, as well)

Movies became important to me which is kind of funny since before Lord of the Rings I rarely went to the movies, but then its amazing the things that one holds on to when that's all you have, and so the movies I saw with Kevin have become especially important to me.

And we all have a love of figures that are larger than life as Kevin did. Mine was Wonder Woman. And I'm sure there were others too, that Kevin liked , but for the most part Superman it is, and the one I most identify with him from toddler to young man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home