Diary of a Mother's Mission

My son, Kevin Martin, disappered under mysterious circumstances in the wee hours of July 18, 2004. His partial remains were found on February 1, 2005 in the river. The Des Moines Police have not been helpful and this is my blog to tell what I have done as it's done.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Des Moines

A wonderful older woman who was sort of like a teacher to me told me that Schenectady( N.Y.), meant "the city of false fronts". She had lived in Schenectady all of her life and was interested in its history as well. I don't know if it is true or not but it has stuck in my mind.I lived there for many years and most recently lived in Scotia - a suburb, I suppose, and right across the Mohawk River from Schenectady. My roots are in New York although I don't consider the cities in New York State beautiful. The Northeast never experienced the prosperity of the 90's as many other areas of the country did. Perhaps that's part of the reason.

Des Moines is a beautiful city. Kevin loved it here and would have spent his life here. A lady on the bus told me that they ( I don't know who she was refering to) wanted to make Des Moines one of the 10 most beautiful cities in the country. It certainly is well on its way to becoming that but I wonder at what price. Education? The police and other local services? I don't know Des Moines. It is uplifting to see a beautiful skyline in the morning and evening. Well, so many things. Does this make a city beautiful? To look at I guess. Now, though, Des Moines has a black spot against it which I hope goes away. Most average Americans are fortunate enough never to be involved with the police, courts, etc. I was never involved with them either until Kevin.

Des Moines should care about what happened to Kevin. There was a quote on the back of literature sent to me from Polk Co. "Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are." Solomon, 635 -577 B.C. I had also read something else which sticks in my mind. I'm not sure whether it is a quote or not but the jist of it is that a society or culture should look out if the life of even one person, no matter how inconsequential that person is seen to be, is diminished or disregarded. All citizens will be endangered.

Kevin loved Des Moines and lost his life here. I planned to make Des Moines my permanent home. Perhaps I expect too much but I want to feel safe. I want to believe that crime doesn't pay in Des Moines and that one can't get away with murder here either. At this point I have my doubts, obviously, but I am looking for a beautiful city, interior and exterior - not another "city of false fronts"...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home