Diary of a Mother's Mission

My son, Kevin Martin, disappered under mysterious circumstances in the wee hours of July 18, 2004. His partial remains were found on February 1, 2005 in the river. The Des Moines Police have not been helpful and this is my blog to tell what I have done as it's done.

Friday, December 30, 2005

The Marriott Christmas Tree

Last night as I was deadheading back to the garage I went down 7th Ave., the best street to view the lighted Christmas tree on the side of the Marriott facing north. It's hugh encompassing many stories. They put green lights in the windows for the outline and red yellow and blue lights filling up the center, some of them even twinkling. Last Christmas, although I came into town a day after Christmas, the tree was gone. A few weeks ago I went down to the Marriott and spoke to the general manager. He assured me that, yes they would have the tree this year as they did last year too. Depending on business or lack of it would determine how long they could fill their rooms with lights to create their beautiful tree on the side of the hotel.

Last night the tree was gone. I felt so sad beause the Christmas season is coming to an end. What does this have to do with Kevin? I still can't understand the flood of memories this Christmas. The last time I experienced this was Kevin's Memorial Service week. Christmas is a time of remembering. People get together with loved ones and friends not unlike people coming together at a memorial service to support, acknowledge, talk about old times. We send out cards at Christmas to old friends we don't see on a regular basis but still love and miss and remember. So very similar and perhaps that's why I'm experiencing all these wonderful feelings. It doesn't matter why though, what the reason was or is but perhaps I'm afraid those feelings, my wonderful connectedness to Kevin will vanish just like the Marriot Christmas tree.
The ambiguity of a difficult season exceeding any expectations I might have had and now I don't want to let it go.

I don't know if Kevin had ever seen the Marriott tree. I told the general manager that when I knew I had to leave Des Moines that was one of the things I would really miss seeing each year. This year it particularly meant so much to me. It brought so much joy. It has become Kevin's Christmas Tree and I would have bored him silly talking about it but it is part of Des Moines which Kevin loved and so in my heart

The Kevin Martin Marriott Christmas Tree!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home