Diary of a Mother's Mission

My son, Kevin Martin, disappered under mysterious circumstances in the wee hours of July 18, 2004. His partial remains were found on February 1, 2005 in the river. The Des Moines Police have not been helpful and this is my blog to tell what I have done as it's done.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Suicide Continued

As much as I've thought about this subject, even before Kevin died, I'm still not sure whether I have all my thoughts together. During the last year and a half I've talked to people about it and received different insights - including one which I forgot to include the other day. I guess I'll start with that before giving some of my own opinions on the subject. Not that we ever have an original opinion about anything. My ideas are formulated from my experience and education, from books and schooling taught by others, reading books written by others. My friend mentioned that people who committ suicide usually don't change their method. Usually the ones who do committ suicide don't talk about it, they just do it. They're usually not the ones who make attempts which, I've been told, is more a cry for help than a serious suicide attempt.

There are probably only a handful of people on the face of this earth who have never thought about suicide at one point or another in their life. This doesn't mean that they would ever try. It's more a philosophical question as people try to come to terms with their life and what it means and what it would mean if they were not here. I don't know the point when it crosses a line because, as I said, attempts can be made for various reasons. Most people think about it but that's as far as it goes.

Unlike alot of people, though, I don't think it is against the law as it is in some states including Iowa and New York (another reason, in my opinion, why an investigation should have been done immediately if it is in fact against the law to committ suicide or attempt to take ones own life) I do believe that it is between the person and their God not the person and the State. Dishonor? No. Tragic if a person, especially a young person, despairs and accidentally takes his life. Gets something in their head, does something impulsively, realizes it but then it's too late. Fortunately I believe there is more to it than this. There has to be. I can't believe that an infinite God would dispurse finite morality.

The reality, in my opinion, is that we all have the choice to live or to die. Any one of us could take our own life if we chose to. To take our own life is one thing, though, to have someone else take our life is murder. If Kevin chose to take his own life, which I don't believe, that was his decision and I would have to accept that as much as I disagreed with it. It would have been his choice and I would find that much easier to accept than if someone hurt him and took his life which took his life choices away from him...

As I've said before, I haven't had time to research this topic so hopefully I will in the near future and so gain more insight on this issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home