Diary of a Mother's Mission

My son, Kevin Martin, disappered under mysterious circumstances in the wee hours of July 18, 2004. His partial remains were found on February 1, 2005 in the river. The Des Moines Police have not been helpful and this is my blog to tell what I have done as it's done.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Kevin The Collector

Something light today. Not so light perhaps but very much Kevin. From coins to comics to action figures, Kevin collected them all. I don't know whether there was anything else he collected. Maybe a few other things here and there. He would have branched out and changed his likes as he had gotten older but I'm sure ,like many of us, he would have collected things. Well, then, too, music cds and movie dvds but music more so.

The issue came up lately as Brian and I were talking. We have his collectibles which we want to save. I guess one can't save everything but we hate to part with the things that meant a lot to Kevin. That's all we have now although the "memory" of Kevin and other things are probably more important. Keeping his memory alive and turning his loss into sometning good is ultimately the most important thing. Objects and things; I've talked about that before and still struggle with that issue myself.

But I loved Kevin the collector. I've run into a few guys who kept things in the package, mint condition. Kevin wasn't like that. He played with them. They were an intergral part of his fantasy world while growing up. He had the artist imagination which helped in his play, and his active play with his toys, I'm sure, helped further develop his imagination. I use to call him my little material boy! He enjoyed all of his toys but took good care of them and saved each and every accessory.

Perhaps I mentioned before Kevin's blue plastic tub filled with his toys he had outgrown. For some reason he had told me about packing the things away. I was welcome to have the box or what I thought was a box. I bugged him unmercifully about the toys in the box he should mail to me. It wasn't until I arrived here in Des Moines and saw the big blue plastic weighty tub that I finally realized Kevin's reluctance to send it to me. Kevin wasn't real expressive on a lot of things so I had no idea the size and weight of the tub and contents. I felt so bad that I kept bugging him about it but am so glad I have toys from his early years as a budding toy collector.

We had talked about Kevin going to school. If things had been different perhaps Kevin would have gone to art school. Kevin liked and was familiar with the comic book artists but also expressed an interest in designing toys. There are one or two schools nation wide that offer a program in toy design. Kevin and I had talked about it although it was perhaps a remote, very remote, possibility but still an unfufilled possibility. Who's to know what Kevin the collector would have accomplished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home